Entrepreneur – Author – Editor
JF Garrard is the President of Dark Helix Press, an Indie publisher of multicultural Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Raw Non-Fiction. She also serves as the Co-President for the Canadian Authors Association’s Toronto Branch, Festival Coordinator for LiterASIAN Toronto, Deputy Editor for Ricepaper Magazine, and Assistant Editor for Amazing Stories, one of the world’s first science-fiction magazines.
She is an editor and writer of speculative fiction (Immersion, Futuristic Canada, The Undead Sorceress, Trump Utopia or Dystopia Anthology, Ricepaper Issue 19.3), non-fiction (The Literary Elephant), as well as children’s books (Feeding The Kraken!, 3x Bilingual Series). Her latest short stories includes “A New Dynasty” in the Frost Zone Zine, “The Curse” in the Brave New Girls: Adventures of Gales and Gizmos anthology, “The Metamorphosis of Nova” in the Blood Is Thicker anthology by Iguana Books and “The Perfect Husband” in the We Shall Be Monsters Frankenstein anthology by Renaissance Press. Her story “The Blue Son” is a winner of the Channillo Short Story Contest.
Her background is in Nuclear Medicine and she has a MBA in Marketing and Strategy. She has been a speaker at various conferences on the topics of publishing, marketing, crowd funding, geek topics (science fiction, anime) and healthcare. Her contributions have been published in Entrepreneur, Monster.com, Women’s Health, Cosmopolitan, MochiMag, My Corporation, Indie Pubchat, Authors Helping Authors, among others. Currently she is pursuing a Creative Writing certificate from Ryerson University.
Find her on Twitter or Instagram @jfgarrard.
Any inquiries can be sent to hello at jfgarrard.com
Sign up below for monthly newsletter updates about my work & other interesting things!
List of Works
- “A New Dynasty”, Frost Zone Zine, Cryoseism Press (2021)
- “Letter to My First Child”, Letters From Here to Hereafter, Monica Mastrantonio (2021)
- “The Blue Son”, Channillo Short Story Contest Winners, Channillo (2020)
- “The Intruder”, Strange Constellations, Asterism Press (2019)
- “The Curse”, Brave New Girls: Adventures of Gales and Gizmos, Mary Fan, (2019)
- “The Metamorphosis of Nova”, Blood Is Thicker: An Anthology of Twisted Family Traditions, Iguana Books (2018)
- “The Perfect Husband”, We Shall Be Monsters: Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein Two Centuries On, Renaissance Press (2018)
- “My Girl”, Sirens Call Publications’ E-zine Issue 37 Women In Horror Month, Sirens Call Publications (2018)
- “Mon Pokemon GO Rants”, Wattpad (2018)
- “Three Microaggressions”, Currents: A Ricepaper Anthology, First Edition, Asian Canadian Writers’ Workshop (2017)
- “Designing Fate”, Ricepaper Magazine (2014)
- Immersion: An Asian Anthology of Love, Fantasy, and Speculative Fiction, Asian Canadian Writers’ Workshop & Dark Helix Press (2019)
- Futuristic Canada, Dark Helix Press (2019)
- Trump: Utopia or Dystopia Anthology, Dark Helix Press (2017)
- Feeding The Kraken!: Parent Tested Recipes To Feed What Some Call Children!, Dark Helix Press (2016)
- The Literary Elephant, Dark Helix Press (2015)
- The Undead Sorceress, Dark Helix Press (2014)